What is Acupuncture?
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an ancient system of healing developed by the Chinese and has been practiced in China for thousands of years. It was first brought into Europe in the 17th Century. It is a system of diagnosis and treatment enabling a free flow of Energy or Qi (Chi) throughout the body. Needles are used to stimulate the bodies Qi to maintain a balance flow.
Does it Hurt?
Generally not, many patients feel relaxed during and after treatment although some points can give a slight discomfort.
What can it Treat?
Acupuncture can treat a wide variety of conditions; back pain, neck pain, headaches, arthritic conditions, sports injuries, stress, anxiety, gastrointestinal and gynecological problems, skin disorders can all be treated. It is also used to correct disharmonies or ill health caused by Stress, Anger, Grief, Infections, Hereditary Factors and Trauma.
What Illnesses can it help?
Acupuncture can help with:
- Breathing and Lung Problems – Asthma, Bronchitis, Coughs, Colds, Hay Fever
- Circulatory Problems – Angina, Heart conditions, Low or High blood pressure, Palpitations, Stroke, Varicose veins.
- Digestive & Bowel Complaints – Nausea, Indigestion, Stomach Ulcers, Colitis, Vomiting, Constipation, IBS., Diarrhoea.
- Ear, Eye, Nose, Mouth and Throat Disorders – Conjunctivitis, Dry eyes, Sinusitis, Sore throats, Nose bleeds, Chronic catarrh, Tinnitus.
- Emotional – Anxiety, Depression, Eating disorders, Panic Attacks, Insomnia.
- Joint Problems and Pain – Rheumatoid arthritis, Headaches.
- Pregnancy – Lower back pain, Morning sickness, Postnatal depression.
- Skin Conditions – Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis urtcaria.
- Reproductive and Urinary Problems – Cystitis, Infertility, Kidney stones.
What does Treatment Entail?
During the first consultation a full medical history is taken followed by an examination using conventional medical techniques and also Traditional Chinese diagnosis, which uses the pulses of the wrist and looking at the tongue to assess the condition of the ‘meridians’ or energy lines in the body. During this consultation the first treatment is given to the patient. Once the diagnosis is established the treatment plan is decided and appointments are 45 minutes to one hour long.
Treatment uses fine needles inserted shallowly into the skin to stimulate the energy flow/Qi. The position of these needles will depend on the condition being treated. The needles are either inserted for a second or two or left in for up to twenty minutes.
Treatment often produces rapid improvement, but in most cases may take a few treatments. Many patients use Acupuncture as a Preventative measure after being cured of their symptoms, coming 3 or 4 times a year to maintain full health.
Who can have Acupuncture?
Anyone can have Acupuncture regardless of age or illness. Treatment can be used in conjunction with Western drug therapy.
Is it Safe?
Acupuncture is a very safe form of treatment if practiced correctly. It does not tend to give any side effects and the Clinic always use ‘single use‘ pre-sterilised needles, which are disposed of after each treatment.